Tuesday, October 27, 2009

the expensive jeans challenge

The other day I inspired a friend to devise a new motivational weight loss challenge for me (other than the motivation to be healthy) with the story of my mother's previous weight loss challenge. About 3 years ago, my mother promised me a pair of fancy schmancy designer jeans if I lost X amount of weight. And I did, so I am now the owner of a pair of designer jeans.

Now, this friend of mine who was born and bred here, is still influenced by her parent's culture where it's okay to publicly comment on physical appearance to your face. Which, I don't mind at all. Whenever we meet, she always makes the same comment, "Wow, Jinra did you lose weight? I bet you'd look great if you lost another 5 lbs!"

I've never taken her suggestion.

It's not like I've let myself go, I've managed to maintain the same weight for the last three years. This time around, the comment was made with such force, and gusto: "Wow, Jinra did you lose weight? I bet you'd look great if you lost another 5 lbs. How about I buy you three pairs of jeans if you get down a dress size."

Now we're talking.

1 comment:

  1. holy shit if someone said they'd buy me designer jeans if i lost 1 size, you bet i'd do it in a week. srsly.
    maybe i should proposition my parents.

    ReplyDelete